Personal, Social & Health Education - RSE
Personal, Social and Health Education and RSE at Slaley First School
At Slaley First School it is expected that all children will have the opportunity to
- Take some responsibility for their own learning.
- Explore and discuss topical issues.
- Participate in different group sizes and compositions.
- Explore, discuss and share their opinions.
- Find information and advice.
- Work with adults other than teachers.
- Work outside the classroom.
- Take time to reflect.
This programme of study for PSHE & RSE gives children the opportunity to:-
- Develop confidence and responsibility, making the most of their abilities.
- Prepare to play an active role as citizens.
- Develop a healthy, safer lifestyle.
- Relationships: develop and maintain positive and healthy relationships of all kinds, including friendships; recognising and dealing with unhealthy relationships (including bullying); understanding how to communicate effectively and confidently withing relationships.
Breadth of study
Each class has a separate programme of study for the teaching of PSHE&C. These programmes work on a two year cycle so as to accommodate mixed age teaching. Within the cycles some themes such as bullying are covered each year. For these themes differentiated tasks are used within the class to ensure progression.
Although we have separate teaching time for PSHE we are aware that many of the relevant skills and concepts are involved in other curricular and extra-curricular activities.
School Council.- developing confidence and responsibility.
Buddies.- developing good relationships.
Reward systems.-developing good relationships; many aspects covered, including school rules.
Praise Assemblies.-developing confidence and responsibility.
Lunch time systems.-developing good relationships, developing an awareness of healthy lifestyles.
Fund raising activities.-preparing to play an active role as citizens
Visits by outside agencies such as the school nurse.-developing a healthy, safer lifestyle.
Circle Time. -developing confidence, responsibility and good relationships.
Science Curriculum.- developing healthy, safer lifestyles.
PE curriculum.-developing healthy, safer lifestyles.
Curriculum focus on healthy eating and lifestyles.-developing healthy,safer lifestyles.
School clubs – developing healthy, safer lifestyles.
RSE - RSE in Northumberland topics are integrated within the curriculum.
Focus on healthy eating-whole school approach.
Within Slaley we aim to weave aspects of food education such as cooking and growing vegetables into school life and the curriculum.
Our dinner supervisor ensures that school lunches meet ‘The School Food Standards’ and utilizes food checklists in order to promote healthy eating.
Children are made aware of the importance of healthy choices and a balanced diet. This is done through the use of discrete class teaching relating to curriculum objectives as well as specific cooking tasks. In addition, food grown by our Gardening Club is used within school whenever possible. We also offer an after school club which focusses upon food as part of a healthy lifestyle.