Multi-Sports Festival at SFS
23rd May 2018
This afternoon we have had children from Whitley Chapel and Beaufront First School join us for a multi-sport festival. It has been lovely to see the children from three different schools within the Hexham Partnership working together in mixed teams on a range of sporting activities. In total, 81 children have taken part.
This festival has been organised and led by our P. E. Coach and Year 3 & 4 pupils, who have been training up as Sports Leaders. The children designed each of the activities, starting with the 'fundamentals of movement:
- Racing against another by hopping through hoops, running through tunnel of cones into a hoop at the end. Winner is first one in the hoop.
- Using spots, children hop from spot to spot using a colour system chosen by the Sports leader.
- Children use hurdles to step over, run over and jump over, depending on ability.
- Children have to jump from beanbag to beanbag and complete the track without touching the floor.
- Ladders - Children will use different footwork skills in the ladders, this will be shown by the Sports leaders.
- Memory game where children have to walk into hoops. Some hoops have ‘bombs’ in which you must try to avoid.
- Noughts & Crosses children using bibs and hoops have to play against each other to make a row of 3.
After a quick break for refreshments, the children then moved onto six specific sporting activities:
- Football Penalty shootout - Children take shots at a Sports Leader
- Tennis strike - Children drop ball from one hand and strike with tennis rackets as far as they can - Score will be measured.
- Bullseye throw - Using our new Tri Golf Target children will throw balls at the target and try to score as many points as possible.
- Vortex howler / Outdoor darts - Children use darts or Vortex howlers to throw as far as they can.
- Tri golf - Children try to drive the ball for the longest drive
- Hockey shootout - Children dribble through a set of cones and shoot ball at the goal.
This non-competitive festival has focused on having fun whilst trying out new activities that help us to keep fit and healthy.